Saturday, July 6, 2013

France, day 13 - Paris

This morning we headed out for the Musee D'Orsay.  We skipped more massive lines with our passes -so satisfying- and headed in to the museum.  We got a couple of audio guides - even a kids one on an iPad!  We learned a little bit about the building and how it had been a train station and hotel, then headed up to the 5th floor, where there are so many beautiful, well known paintings in one place, it's amazing,  It was fun to see some of Monet and the others earlier paintings before they'd developed their own style, and to see their evolution as painters.  I also liked seeing the less well-known paintings by the well-known artists because I like many of them better, maybe partly because I haven't seen their images so many times.  It was a great visit, and fun to see the great animal statues outside...love the elephant!

Next we took a great walk on the left bank.  The streets and neighborhoods are lovely here.  We discovered a tasty quick food place with all kinds of really fresh salads, smoothies,etc.  I had this really fresh yogurt with passion fruit on top that you mix in - yum!  It's called "Cojean" and has several Paris locations...good to know.  Following that, I went ahead with Abby, Suse and Goose to meet up with Hillary Taylor and her kids at the puppet show starting at Jardin du Luxembourg.  We barely made it in time and couldn't get the rest of our group in. It was petty packed in there - hot and steamy, but great to see this tradition of puppet shows there.  I love how the little French kids tell out to the puppets and the puppets respond.  There's enough slapstick humor and action to keep non-French speaking kids entertained, and I can mostly follow it because of the slower, simpler language intended for young kids.  We then headed to the great playground there at the park where our kids played happily for a couple of hours.  Mark and Zelle and Annie had rented biked and taken turns riding them, and Hillary, Annie and I had a chance to talk and catch up, which was fun.   We went to a creperie that night together before heading home our separate ways.

Since this was Annie's last night in Paris, Zelle, Abby, Annie and I took a night walk after getting the other girls down to bed.  The city is beautiful at night with its lights, and we even discovered one of the pedestrian bridges with all the locks on it.   We were reminded of Elise's roommate who'd been in Paris last year during their wedding and sent the picture of the lock she'd put up for them with their names and wedding date - we didn't find it, though :). Wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment