I wrote this post last night and my iPad died when I was a couple of sentences away from being done and it didn't save - hate that! Anyway, Goosie woke up with a fever yesterday, which is a bummer because she hasn't one in six months. But we're really thankful it's been that long. In any case, Mark stayed at the apt and did work, and Susie stayed too because this was the day I had Shakespeare tickets for four and hadn't planned on Susie going to that anyway. It probably ended up being an ok day for it, and good for little people to have down time every few days anyway.
I took Zelle, Abby, and Lu to the area near the Globe theater to explore today. We saw the Golden Hinde, which is a replica of Sir Francis Drake's galleon that circumnavigated the globe. It was surprisingly small boat, and looked like a miserable way of life to me. In our short time on the boat, Zelle and Lu banged their heads on the low beams/doorways. It took them 3 years to go around the world, and Drake also played a key role in Britian's rise to a dominant sea power, helping defeat the Spanish Armada. Poor guy died of dysentery after all that.
Next, we found nearby Borough Market, which we loved. We got pieces of several flavors of Turkish Delight, and chocolate covered honeycomb. The girls got sticky rice with coconut sauce and mango that was a huge hit, and there was fresh fish, huge pans of paella, and the coolest cheese shop I've ever seen. The walls were stacked to the top with different kinds of cheese, and they gave us several samples to try. We finally settled in on one kind to buy, and Lu liked it so much, she kept asking me for more every few minutes. I was so happy to think I might have another stinky cheese lover in the family :).
From there, we found the Globe and got ready for our play. We got tickets to "A Midsummer Night's Dream" because Abby read it this year in English. It was cute to see her explaining the story to Lu. The actors were really good, and at some points I looked over to see all the girls laughing hard. We were so glad not to be on the floor where you have to stand. It was a 3 hour play, and we didn't want the authentic experience that badly! It was really a treat to be able to see a play there.
On our way home, I decided to run the girls through a few parts of the Tate Modern since it's right next door and free. We saw a couple of Picasso's, and a lot of nudes, and weird paintings. We recon firmed that we're not modern art people. We came back to our home crew, and had another great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment