Saturday, June 8, 2013

Europe trip June 2013

So I don't really know how to add photos while we're on the road.  The posts willbe a little dry without photos, but this will serve as my trip journal.  The planning and preparation for this trip was mammoth.  I think I mostly enjoy it, and getting the girls more interested in the history of the area is fun.  The last couple of weeks of crunch time, however , are pretty tiring, and less fun.  In any case, we managed to make it out the door Friday afternoon for the first leg of our trip to Minneapolis.  Everyone had backpacks busting with things to do, and started right in on their much anticipated new books, new pens, etc - pretty cute.  Mark and I also downloaded we movies to keep the old ones from getting too stale, and Abs and Zelle were traveling for the first time with their Kindles- all loaded up with new books.

We had a 3 1/2hr layover in Minneapolis, which went quickly because that's such a great airport!  Anyway, then we hopped on our 7 1/2 hr flight to London.  It was about 10 Minnesota time, and perfect for sleeping thru the night for those who can sleep on planes (NOT me!). Goose was my seat buddy and was awesome.  She watched a movie for a while, then I tied her it was time to sleep, which she did for the remainder of the fligh!.  A few times she'd freak out and stretch her legs straight, and I'd think she was going to be awake and miserable for the Reston the flight, but then she'd stay asleep.  Mark, Abby and I had trouble sleeping more than 20-30 min here and there...bummer, but I think everyone did ok.  One thing that was unbelievable on this flight was this poor teenage boy who started throwing up a couple of hours into the flight and didn't stop.  It must have been food poisoning or something because I have never seen anyone that sick.  It seriously didn't stop and was every few minutes (just a few rows behind us...eeh).  When we were clearing customs, waiting for bags, etc there he was just still going...so sad and gross.  Memorable, too :)!

We took a van we had reserved earlier to get to our flat.  We checked in and got instructions, then decided to walk the 15minutes or so to Harrod's department store.  It seemed like a good, easy place to keep everyone awake.  We've already used the stroller we got for Goose a ton - it will be a lifesaver!  It's a little stressful to cross busy streets/keep everyone together in crowded places, but I guess that's just part of city life with kids!  We got sandwiches at Harrod's, then walked to a nearby grocery store where the self checkout about did us in - could not get it to work correctly, and had a few over-eager helpers that kept messing things up.  We made it, though, then went back to the apartment with time to unpack and settle in. The kids did SO well today, and besides the barfing boy, our travel could not have been more smooth - no delays, quickly got all our luggage, etc.  By the time we were getting ready for bed, though, they were hurting.  Lots of arguing and grouchiness (understandably), so it was definitely time to sleep! We were all asleep by 7:30-8:00, which was pretty good.  A few hours later, around midnight, I heard Goose's footsteps upstairs.  She, Mark, and I have been awake since, which is why I'm not writing this update.  Goose in next to me watching a movie on the iPad.  Hopefully we can get one more chick of sleep around 3 or so?

We're so thankful to be here healthy, safe, and happy!  Xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment